Saturday, June 16, 2012

Business vs. Steerage (economy) Class

Business class ramp
"But I don't want to get off the plane!" I squealed. This is not something I ever dreamed of saying but after experiencing the luxurious accommodations of Asiana business class, my next flight in economy might make me cry.

Djorf wanted to surprise me by using his vast accumulation of flight miles (a mere 110,000 miles) to purchase two oneway tickets for Asiana business class for our final return flight from Shanghai. I have never flown business class so like a giddy child I have taken photos of everything, pressed every button I could find, ate everything I could, and drank enough champagne to drown in.

Almost completely flat reclining seat.
Let me just say, there is a reason a curtain is pulled to separate the haves and the have nots. If the commoners in the back of the plane knew what was going on up here on the "second floor," there might be a mutiny. The whole experience makes flying actually pleasant. I was in no rush, my bottom never fell asleep, I don't feel cramped, claustrophobic, my head didn't drop over onto the person next to me thereby saving them from a puddle of drool I surely would have deposited on their shoulder, I never got a crick in my neck, and I not once questioned the origin or expiration date of the delicious food placed before me. It was like being on a flying cruise ship except the alcohol is included.

Real Bloody Mary
Before we even got on the plane, we lounged in the Asiana Club munching on snacks and drinking wine. Then we leisurely walked over to the business class ticket collection area to the plane where there was no line, then strolled down our own ramp to the first/business class entrance. Unfortunately we did have to exert a little energy climbing the stairs to get up to the "second floor" of our plane before dropping gracefully into the reclining space pod looking seats. I chose the window seat which also boasts extra storage compartments we found out later and Djorf chose the aisle. There are only 12 total seats on the second floor, in comparison to the 12 seats in each row of economy class. When I stick out my legs straight, I can't even touch the seat in front of me.
Me at the top of the stairs on the plane.

This is where the button pushing began. There are 14 buttons alone that control my seat. It goes up, down, in, out, lumbar support, leg rest and support, and it reclines. The seat in front of me never moves and there wasn't a child in sight to even attempt to kick my seat or puncture the harmonious silence. The tv had tons of movies, games, shows, movies, and the flight show (my favorite because you can watch the airplane travel across the screen). I also have my trusty iPad in case I get bored with the inflight entertainment.

Just one of the many courses of our meal.
Moving on from the seat, we were given hot towels at every interval, slippers, lotions, lip gloss, and endless glasses of Mumm Napa Rose. Our menu for dinner consisted of seven courses and warm bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar throughout. To start we had fried eggplant stuffed purée with tomato confit, followed by an appetizer of grilled king prawn with couscous and baby leaves asparagus. A mushroom cream soup was served piping hot and the main course was Toscana-style beef cutlet with marinated radicchio for me and grilled halibut with fettuccine-style vegetables for Djorf. Then came a cheese platter with Munster, Taleggio, and Compte, fruit, crackers, etc. But wait, there's more. A tasty apple tart and coffee/tea service was provided for dessert. Everything was served separately in real little white dishes, real silverware, and real glasses.

Perusing the menu.
After gorging myself like a gluttonous Roman on all this decadent food, I slept like a baby for about five hours until Loki barked and woke me up. Mean little doggie. He must have wanted me to wake up for breakfast.

Breakfast was almost as delightful as dinner. The feasting began with fresh rolls and croissants, followed by fruit and blueberry yogurt. The main course was a mushroom and egg omelette, potatoes, and grilled zucchini for me. Djorf had a seafood crepe with béchamel sauce and green beans. Coffee and tea? Yes please.

Jet-setting Pomeranian
I am now writing this post as we descend to Los Angeles where I will sadly deplane knowing this may be the last time I experience such luxurious surroundings. Even the toilets in business class stayed clean, spotless, and never smell bad. The flight attendants are perfectly coiffed and immaculately dressed. Finally, no one leaps unceremoniously from their seats knocking over the elderly and children to tear their luggage from the overhead compartments before the captain turns off the seatbelt sign. We all sit patiently awaiting arrival at the gate where we will exit on our own ramp. We wouldn't want the economy class seeing how well we have slept and ate indesguisable because of the bounce in our step. A truly lovely journey. Had I written from my usual seat amongst the have nots, this blog would have taken an entirely different tone and I would have been chanting, "Let me off, let me off, get me out of this godforsaken metal tube death trap." I adore flying...in business class.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment